If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Albuquerque, NM, you may be able to pursue compensation for damages. The Albuquerque truck accident lawyers at Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers will put 55+ years of combined experience in cases like car accidents, Albuquerque motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, workplace accidents, Albuquerque Uber accidents, and many more, behind your case to get the outcome you deserve. Contact us at (505) 594-3621 to discuss your legal options.
Several major highways run through and around Albuquerque, meaning residents are used to sharing the road with large commercial vehicles. While these trucks are vital to commerce, they pose a significant threat when they’re involved in crashes with smaller vehicles, resulting in physical, emotional, and financial losses.
Call us now to discuss your truck accident claim and legal options for financial recovery. We offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency fee basis, so there is no obligation or risk in seeking our honest legal advice.
How Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Truck Accident in Albuquerque, NM
A commercial truck accident case often involves multiple parties, extensive insurance policies, and complex trucking regulations. Insurers and trucking companies will do everything possible to fight your claim and make the process as difficult as possible.
An Albuquerque personal injury lawyer can level the playing field and ensure that these companies don’t take advantage of your situation. We’re skilled negotiators and know truck accident laws inside and out. We’ve secured over $30 million in settlements and awards for our clients, and we’re prepared to take on your legal battle to get the compensation you need.
If you hire Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers after a truck crash in Albuquerque, New Mexico, we’ll help you by:
- Listening to your story and evaluating how the collision has impacted your life
- Independently investigating the truck crash to determine who is liable
- Monitoring any local, state, or federal investigations into the accident
- Gathering evidence to prove your personal injury claim and the value of your damages
- Negotiating with insurance companies and others for a fair settlement
- Representing you in Bernalillo County court if necessary
Our primary goals are that you receive adequate medical treatment, get fairly compensated, and obtain justice. Contact our Albuquerque personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation to discuss creating an attorney-client relationship.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in Albuquerque?
On average, a large truck crash occurs every three hours in the state of New Mexico.
According to the New Mexico Department of Transportation’s 2021 Annual Traffic Crash Report, there were 3,418 heavy truck accidents statewide in 2021, and:
- 84 were fatal crashes
- 862 were injury crashes
Heavy trucks were involved in 7.2% of the state’s total crashes – but they were in 17.6% of all fatal collisions.
The NMDOT defines a “heavy truck” as one with a gross vehicle weight of over 10,000 pounds, including semi-trucks, light box trucks, delivery trucks, and other heavy commercial trucks.
Semi-truck accidents tend to cluster around Albuquerque, occurring mainly on I-40 and I-25. In 2021, the largest number of the state’s collisions occurred in Albuquerque. The city accounted for nearly 35% of New Mexico’s total crashes.
According to preliminary data for 2022, there were 460 motor vehicle fatalities, and 20 involved semi-trucks and buses. Additionally, there have already been six fatalities involving semi-trucks in NM in the first three months of 2023.
What Causes Most Truck Accidents in Albuquerque?
All truck drivers who operate in New Mexico must obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL). This requires passing a written test, attending driver training, passing a skills test, and submitting a medical exam certificate. Truckers and trucking companies must also comply with state and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations.
Unfortunately, truck accidents still occur even with strict requirements and laws in place. Most often, the main contributing factor is negligence – or careless actions on state roads and highways.
Many New Mexico truck accidents occur due to:
- Speeding or driving too fast for weather or traffic conditions
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving, such as when truckers violate hours of service regulations
- Driving under the influence
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Improperly loaded cargo
- Overloaded trailers
- Dangerous turns and lane changes
- Driving in a truck’s blind spot
- Running stop signs and traffic lights
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Failure to inspect or maintain the truck
- Driver inexperience
While most truck accidents result from driver error, other factors, such as road hazards, poor infrastructure, and defective truck components, can also contribute. We’ll investigate and determine exactly what caused your truck wreck so that we can identify the responsible parties.
Who Could Be Liable for My Semi-Truck Accident in Albuquerque?
Multiple parties may share liability for a truck accident, meaning there could be more than one defendant.
Potentially liable parties in an Albuquerque truck crash case include:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- Cargo loading companies
- Truck maintenance companies
- Manufacturers of defective auto parts or equipment
Our truck accident lawyers in Albuquerque will work to identify every party who may share financial responsibility for your injuries and damages.
What Is My Albuquerque Truck Accident Case Worth?
Truck accident claims tend to be worth more than other types of motor vehicle accident cases. Big rigs often cause severe injuries and extensive property damage, resulting in significant costs.
However, the value of your Albuquerque truck accident claim will depend on the specific facts of your situation.
We’ll need to assess things like:
- The severity of your accident injuries and how they affect your quality of life
- The medical bills and other expenses you’ve incurred
- Your lost income and whether you’re able to work in the same capacity after the truck crash
- The emotional distress and physical pain you’ve endured
- Whether you share any blame for causing the truck collision
- The strength of your evidence
- Whether you’ve sustained a permanent disability, impairment, or disfigurement
Our personal injury attorneys in Albuquerque will evaluate these and other factors when calculating your damages.
What Damages Are Available To Truck Accident Victims in Albuquerque, New Mexico?
Albuquerque truck accident victims can pursue compensation for the full extent of their losses, which includes economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages after a semi-truck crash may include:
- All medical expenses, including past medical treatment and future healthcare requirements
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost wages and benefits
- Reduced earning potential
- Property damage
- All other out-of-pocket expenses
You likely also sustained non-economic damages, which include:
- Mental or emotional pain
- Physical pain and suffering
- Permanent disfigurement or scarring
- Loss of companionship
A third category of damages – known as punitive damages (or exemplary damages) – may be available in rare cases. These aren’t awarded to compensate the plaintiff for specific losses; rather, they’re intended to punish the defendant for particularly reckless conduct.
Can I Receive Compensation If I’m Partially To Blame for a Truck Accident in New Mexico?
As long as you aren’t entirely responsible for the truck accident, you’re entitled to compensation under New Mexico law – but your award will be reduced by your apportioned fault. That’s because New Mexico implements a pure comparative negligence standard for personal injury cases.
For example, assume you were speeding when a distracted truck driver collided with your vehicle. The jury assigns you 40% of the blame. That means you can recover 60% of your court-awarded damages. If the jury determines that your total damages equal $100,000, you’d be entitled to $60,000 once your negligence is accounted for.
If opposing parties attempt to shift blame to you, contact our Albuquerque truck accident attorneys for immediate assistance. This tactic is frequently used to undervalue claims and avoid paying victims what they deserve.
What Injuries Are Sustained in Truck Accidents?
Large trucks and tractor-trailers can cause catastrophic injuries when they collide with passenger vehicles.
At Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve helped auto accident victims who have sustained various types of injuries, including:
- Concussion and other traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage and paralysis
- Broken bones
- Abrasions and burns
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Back injuries
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Psychological trauma
Our personal injury lawyers in Albuquerque understand that a truck accident can physically and emotionally impact a victim’s life. That’s why we’ll work to identify every injury you suffered in the crash and seek a financial recovery that fully covers them all.
How Long Do I Have To File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in New Mexico?
The New Mexico statute of limitations gives personal injury victims a limited time to file a lawsuit. You typically have three years from the truck accident date to take legal action against the responsible parties. If the truck crash was fatal, you have three years from the victim’s date of death to file a wrongful death case.
There may be exceptions that provide more or less time to file a truck accident lawsuit – and if you miss the statutory deadline, you’ll lose your right to pursue a financial recovery in court.
Therefore, it’s essential to discuss your legal matter with an experienced truck accident attorney in Albuquerque as soon as possible to preserve your legal rights.
Contact Our Albuquerque Truck Accident Lawyers for a Free Consultation
Were you hurt in an accident involving a semi-truck in Albuquerque, NM? If so, contact Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers for immediate assistance. Our Albuquerque truck accident attorneys will do everything possible to get you the compensation you deserve.
We offer a free case evaluation to explain your legal rights and options, so call today to schedule yours.
Our personal injury law firm in Albuquerque, NM also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Bus Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Car Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Child Injury Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Construction Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Albuquerque, NM
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Albuquerque, NM
- Product Liability Lawyer in Albuquerque, NM
- Slip And Fall Attorneys in Albuquerque, NM
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Uber Accident Attorneys in Albuquerque, NM
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Albuquerque, NM