Slips, trips, and falls are common causes of unintentional injury in Albuquerque, New Mexico. At Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers, our Albuquerque slip and fall lawyers help hold negligent property owners liable for injuries on their property and fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact our law firm by calling (505) 594-3621 to schedule your free consultation.
Slip and fall accidents can cause severe injuries. Some victims sustain long-term impairments because of the fall. Our attorneys have achieved a 98% success rate in obtaining compensation for our clients in over 3,000 cases like Albuquerque premises liability, car accidents, dog bites, wrongful death cases, truck accidents, brain injuries in Albuquerque, and many more.
How Curiel & Runion Can Help With a Slip and Fall Case in Albuquerque
Insurance companies often downplay the damages caused by slip and fall accidents. They argue that the fall resulted in minor injuries. However, falls are not minor accidents, and victims can sustain catastrophic injuries that have life-altering consequences.
You need aggressive Albuquerque personal injury lawyers to pursue your claim. Our attorneys at Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers have over 55 years of combined legal experience. We have recovered more than $30 million for our clients in jury verdicts and settlements.
Our founding lawyers, Triumph Curiel and Derick Runion, are recognized as Rising Stars by SuperLawyers. They have devoted their law practice to helping injured victims and their families receive fair personal injury settlements.
When you hire our top-rated personal injury lawyers in Albuquerque, NM, to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the cause of your fall to determine who is liable for damages
- Gather evidence documenting causation and fault for your slip and fall accident
- Work with medical specialists and other expert witnesses, as needed
- Document your damages to calculate the correct value for your damages
- Aggressively pursue settlements for the full value of your case
- File a slip and fall lawsuit and argue your case in front of a jury, if necessary
With decades of experience, our lawyers have the expertise, skills, and resources to handle the most challenging personal injury cases. Call us today to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced slip and fall accident lawyer in Albuquerque.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Albuquerque
Property owners have a duty of care to provide safe premises. They must take reasonable steps to warn you about dangers on the property and fix hazards that could cause injuries.
Common reasons for slip and fall injuries include:
- Inadequate lighting
- Broken steps or staircases
- Missing or broken handrails
- Loose or damaged flooring
- Cracks and potholes in sidewalks and parking lots
- Exposed wiring and electrical cords
- Debris or items in walkways
- Slippery and wet surfaces
- Uneven entrances for elevators and escalators
- Spilled food or beverages
If you slip and fall, report the incident to the property owner or manager. Take pictures and make a video of the accident scene, especially the cause of your fall. Property owners often correct the problem after a person falls and sustains injuries.
Call us to talk with an Albuquerque slip and fall injury attorney about filing a claim as soon as possible. Providing statements and talking with an insurance adjuster before you talk with a lawyer could hurt your case. Your statements could be used to blame you for falling.
Proving a Slip and Fall Claim in Albuquerque, NM
You have the burden of proving the legal elements of a slip and fall claim before you can hold the property owner or another liable party responsible for your damages. Proving a premises liability claim requires evidence proving:
- The property owner or other liable party owed you a legal duty of care
- The owner or liable party knew or should have known about the danger or hazard
- The party breached their duty of care by failing to take reasonable steps to prevent an injury
- The party’s conduct was the proximate and direct cause of your fall and injury
- You sustained damages because of the fall
The burden of proof in a slip and fall case is by a preponderance of the evidence. Therefore, the jury must believe there is more than a 50% chance that the facts you present are truer than untrue. Otherwise, the jury could rule in favor of the other party.
Our Albuquerque slip and fall lawyers have extensive experience investigating cases and gathering evidence. We take care of proving your case while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
Injuries Caused by Albuquerque Slip and Fall Accidents
The injuries people sustain in a slip, trip, and fall depend on the circumstances. However, falls have the potential to cause severe injuries. Common injuries caused by falls include:
- Fractures and broken bones
- Back injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Sprains and strains
- Joint injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
Depending on the severity of the injuries, you could sustain a permanent impairment. If so, you might be entitled to compensation for future damages.
What Types of Damages Can I Recover for an Albuquerque Slip and Fall Accident?
Slips, trips, and falls can cause serious injuries, which result in significant damages. In most cases, you can receive reimbursement for your monetary losses related to the accident. Economic damages in slip and fall cases include:
- Past and future medical bills and expenses
- Past and future lost wages, including decreased earning capacity
- The cost of rehabilitative therapies and services
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- The cost of personal care and household services
- Long-term skilled nursing care
In addition to being reimbursed for financial losses, you can also demand compensation for the pain and suffering you experienced because of the fall. Examples of non-economic damages in a slip and fall case include:
- Mental anguish
- Physical pain
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Permanent disabilities and impairments
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The amount you receive for a slip and fall accident claim depends on many factors. Your injuries are a significant factor. However, the strength of your evidence and whether you could be partially to blame for your fall can impact the value of your case.
Call our Albuquerque slip and fall injury lawyers to discuss how much your case is worth and how we can help you maximize your recovery for a personal injury claim.
Can I Recover Compensation if I’m Partially To Blame for My Slip and Fall Accident in New Mexico?
New Mexico has adopted a pure comparative negligence standard for personal injury claims. It is a standard for dividing damages between at-fault parties in a lawsuit.
If you are partially to blame for causing your injury, you are not barred from receiving compensation for damages. However, your degree of fault impacts the amount of money you receive.
Suppose a jury awards you $500,000 for a slip and fall injury at a local grocery store. However, the jurors decided you were 25% to blame for the cause of your injury.
Instead of receiving $500,000 for damages, you would only receive $375,000 for your lawsuit. The court reduces your compensation by $125,000 (25%) for your level of fault for causing your injury.
Insurance companies and defense attorneys try to use contributory fault to avoid paying the total value of a claim. Be careful when speaking to the property owner or an insurance adjuster about your fall. Your statements could be used to allege you share some liability for your injuries.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire an Attorney for a Slip and Fall Case in Albuquerque?
Our lawyers at Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers take slip and fall cases based on a contingency fee basis. Therefore, you are not required to pay any legal fees upfront to hire our law firm. Instead, we only get paid when you get paid.
You do not need to worry whether you can afford to hire a lawyer for a slip and fall case. Our attorney’s fees are a percentage of the amount we recover for your case. Call today to learn more about our legal services and how the contingency fee payment system will work in your case.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Albuquerque Slip and Fall Accidents?
New Mexico statutes have deadlines for filing personal injury lawsuits. In most cases, a slip and fall lawsuit must be filed within three years from the accident date.
However, if the accident occurred on government property, the deadline for suing the government is two years. You must also file a notice of claim within 90 days after you slip and fall to protect your right to file a lawsuit.
Exceptions to the statute of limitations could apply in your case. Therefore, seeking legal advice as soon as possible after a fall or injury is wise. Otherwise, you could lose your right to file a claim in a court of law.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Albuquerque Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
Did you fall and injure yourself on another party’s property? If so, we want to hear from you. Our legal team at Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers is ready to help you file a claim for damages.
Contact us to schedule a free case review with one of our Albuquerque slip and fall accident attorneys.
Albuquerque Slip & Fall Accident Review
Had a great experience considering I was in a car accident and had no idea where to start. The operations director, Amber was AWESOME! She was always so quick to follow up with me, and give me clear expectations on what was going on. I highly recommend Curiel & Runion!
View more of our client reviews here.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office in Albuquerque, NM
Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers
400 Gold Avenue SW, Suite 650
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Our personal injury law firm in Albuquerque, NM also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Bus Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Car Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Child Injury Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Construction Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Albuquerque, NM
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Albuquerque, NM
- Product Liability Lawyer in Albuquerque, NM
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Uber Accident Attorneys in Albuquerque, NM
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Albuquerque, NM
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Albuquerque, NM