Albuquerque Car Accident Lawyer
Were you recently injured in a car accident in Albuquerque, NM? You may be entitled substantial monetary award to cover your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. An Albuquerque car accident lawyer at Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight maximize your compensation and the damages you’re entitled to, contact us today at (505) 594-3621.
Our legal team has recovered over $30 million for injured clients just like you, including many six- and seven-figure awards in motor vehicle accident cases. We have over five decades of experience handling personal injury claims.
Call us now to schedule a free initial case review with an experienced car accident attorney. We offer contingency fees for all personal injury cases.
How Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After an Accident in Albuquerque, NM
Anyone who has been in a car accident in Albuquerque, New Mexico, knows that they can be expensive. Medical expenses. Lost wages. Pain and suffering. It can seem like the losses won’t stop.
You shouldn’t have to foot the bill if someone else caused the accident — the at-fault party should. An experienced Albuquerque personal injury lawyer can help you seek justice and fair compensation after your crash.
Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers has over 55 years of experience in personal injury law. We have recovered tens of millions of dollars for injury victims and families in New Mexico. Our attorneys have been recognized by top legal organizations like Super Lawyers for their success in car accident cases and other personal injury claims.
When you hire us, you can expect us to:
- Explain your rights and lay out your options for recovering compensation
- Investigate your crash to gather evidence and identify all parties who could be liable
- Record and calculate all of your damages
- Work with leading New Mexico experts to prove your claim (when necessary)
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the insurance company on your behalf
- Represent you in court in pursuit of justice
Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with an Albuquerque personal injury attorney.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Albuquerque?
New Mexico has its fair share of car accidents. In 2021, the state experienced over 40,700 car crashes. These accidents injured nearly 18,000 people and killed 483 people. The fatality total was the highest it’s been in a decade and noticeably higher than the national average.
Albuquerque experienced just shy of 14,000 accidents in 2021, by far the highest number of any city in NM. It had a staggering 118 auto accident deaths that year, as well as 6,427 injuries. Driving under the influence remains a problem in the city; there were 585 alcohol-involved crashes in 2021.
What is My Car Accident Case Worth?
It would be inappropriate to guess at the value of your claim without analyzing the facts.
Every car accident case is unique, and every accident victim experiences unique damages.
There are several factors that could influence the value of your claim, including:
- Expenses related to medical attention (past and future)
- How much income you lost from work while you recovered
- Whether you’ve suffered a diminished earning capacity
- Available insurance coverages
- Whether you share fault for the accident
- The pain and suffering you’ve experienced after the accident
- The strength of your evidence
You should take any insurance company’s evaluation of your claim with a grain of salt. They will do everything they can to pay you as little as possible. That’s why it’s essential to consult a car accident attorney in Albuquerque to learn more about the value of your case.
Your lawyer can help you track your damages and calculate your losses so you have an accurate assessment of your claim. They can even consult experts in finance and medicine to help evaluate complex losses such as pain and suffering.
Contact Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free case consultation with an auto accident attorney in Albuquerque. We’re here to help you understand your case’s value.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
It’s important to take certain steps after a collision to protect your health and any future legal claims.
Here is a list of things to do after a car accident in Albuquerque, NM:
- Call law enforcement to report the accident. New Mexico law states that drivers must immediately notify the police department if a collision results in injury, death, or property damage of at least $500. That covers most crashes. You should also render aid to anyone injured by requesting an ambulance.
- Exchange information with the other party. That includes name, address, vehicle registration number, insurance information, and driver’s license details.
- Gather information at the accident scene if possible. You should try to take photos and videos of all relevant details, including property damage, skid marks, debris, traffic and weather conditions, and the location of the collision. Additionally, ask eyewitnesses for their contact information.
- Seek prompt medical attention. If you aren’t transported to a local Albuquerque hospital, visit a healthcare provider to get checked out. Some injuries may not manifest apparent symptoms. Additionally, if you wait too long, the insurance company may claim that your injuries aren’t serious or that the accident didn’t cause them.
- Don’t admit fault or speak to an insurance adjuster before talking to an attorney. Your statements can be used against you to minimize your claim or shift fault to you, so be careful what you say at the accident scene. Also, obtain guidance from an attorney before talking to an adjuster.
The best way to protect yourself after a car accident is to seek legal advice from an experienced Albuquerque personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to Car Accident Victims?
You will typically be entitled to compensatory damages after a car crash. Compensatory damages come in two forms.
Economic damages will compensate for your financial losses after the crash.
Non-economic damages will cover personal, non-monetary losses.
Economic damages include:
- Medical treatment and expenses
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Physical therapy costs
- Property damage
Non-economic damages consist of:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages may be available in select car accident claims. These damages are designed to punish the defendant for extreme misconduct, such as drunk driving. However, they are rarely awarded in New Mexico personal injury cases.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Car Accident in New Mexico?
New Mexico uses pure comparative fault rules to address accidents with more than one at-fault party. Under these rules, you can recover compensation as long as you are not entirely at fault for the accident. If you are partially at fault, your damages will be reduced to account for your percentage of blame.
For example, if you were 100% at fault, you cannot recover any compensation. But if you were 40% responsible, your damages would be reduced by 40%.
If the insurance company attempts to blame you for an accident, you should contact an Albuquerque car accident attorney right away. Insurance companies use this tactic to undervalue claims and avoid paying victims what they deserve.
Why Should I Hire an Albuquerque Car Accident Lawyer?
Hiring an experienced car accident attorney is the best way to ensure you receive a fair outcome in your case.
Having an attorney by your side will:
- Level the playing field against powerful insurance companies with vast resources to fight your claim
- Give you time to rest and heal from your car accident injuries rather than figuring out how to navigate the legal claims process
- Minimize the chance that the insurance company or other driver unfairly blames you for the accident, reducing your payout
- Give you access to resources and experts to build a strong and effective personal injury claim
Contact our Albuquerque personal injury law firm to discuss our legal services and how we can assist after a car accident.
We’ll Fight to Recover Damages For All Of Your Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can produce a shockingly wide range of injuries. The severity of the injuries will usually be influenced by the type of car accident one is involved in.
Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers will fight to recover compensation for all your injuries. We want to help you get the money you need for treatment and recovery.
We regularly represent clients who have experienced the following injuries:
- Amputation injuries
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Burn injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- Wrongful death
Contact us today to explore your legal options. We offer free, no-pressure consultations to help you understand your rights.
What Causes Most Car Accidents in Albuquerque?
Car accidents in New Mexico can have any number of causes.
However, most car wrecks happen due to driver negligence.
Driver negligence may take the form of:
- Distracted driving
- Weather conditions
- Driving under the influence
- Traffic signal violations
- Road defects
- Product defects
Multiple factors can contribute to one crash. However, identifying each cause is important for proving your case. Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers can launch an investigation to identify the causes of your crash.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Car Accident?
Most auto accident cases are based on negligence. Negligence refers to careless behavior that causes an accident or injury. A driver is negligent when they fail to act like a reasonable person before the collision.
To prove negligence, you must establish four elements:
- Duty – You must show the at-fault driver had a duty of care. All drivers have a duty to drive safely and follow traffic laws.
- Breach – You must show the defendant breached their duty.
- Causation – You must show the at-fault driver caused your accident.
- Damages – You must show you suffered damages.
A successful negligence claim requires proof of all four elements. If you fail to establish even one element, you will lose your case. Contact Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free case consultation to discuss your negligence claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Car Accident in New Mexico?
New Mexico has strict deadlines for car accident lawsuits. Although there are exceptions, you’ll typically have three years from the date of your crash to file a lawsuit.
If you miss the deadline, you’ll lose your right to seek compensation. Therefore, you should initiate your lawsuit as soon as possible.
Contact our car accident lawyers in Albuquerque today to get started on your case.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Attorney in Bernalillo County?
Most Bernalillo County car accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This payment structure allows you to retain an experienced lawyer after a collision without paying any upfront costs.
If your attorney secures a favorable settlement or verdict for you, you’ll owe them a pre-agreed-upon percentage of it. The amount is typically between 33–40%. On the other hand, if your attorney does not win any money for you, you will not owe them any attorney’s fees.
You will never owe any fees out of pocket, and we’ll ensure that you understand what to expect. Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation, and we’ll explain our contingency fee agreement and answer your questions.
Contact Our Car Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque For a Free Consultation
You deserve to be whole after your car accident. Curiel & Runion Personal Injury Lawyers can help you seek the compensation you need. We’ll do everything in our power to maximize the value of your claim and put you in a position to move forward.
Contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your claim with an experienced Albuquerque car accident lawyer.
Auto Repair Shops
- ABQ Quality Auto Service – 810 Arno St NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Leonard Tire & Automotive Repair – 201 Lomas Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Downtown Tire & Auto Service – 700 Central Ave SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Klinks Auto Repair – 1617 1st St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
Car Accident Resources
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
- New Mexico Department of Public Safety
- Your Albuquerque Car Accident: The Basics – FindLaw
- Albuquerque Police Department
- Albuquerque Traffic Accident Reports
What Our Albuquerque Clients Are Saying About Us
Read more of our Google Reviews.
- How Long Do I Have To File a Car Accident Claim in Albuquerque, NM?
- How to Find Out if Someone Has Car Insurance in Albuquerque, NM
- Should I Call 911 After a Car Accident in Albuquerque?
Car Accident Infographic
Our personal injury law firm in Albuquerque, NM also provides:
- Albuquerque Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Albuquerque, NM
- Albuquerque Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Albuquerque, NM
- Albuquerque Slip And Fall Attorneys
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM
- Uber Accident Attorneys in Albuquerque, NM
- Albuquerque Wrongful Death Lawyer